[LLVMdev] Question about SPARC target status

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 13:22:40 PST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Peter Shugalev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've noticed SPARC target lacks some of functionality (only asm
> printer
> is implemented with no binary code emitter and no 64-bit ABI support).
>
> Are there any (probably uncommited) advances in these areas? The most
> needed feature for me is sparc64 support. If I decide to implement
> these
> ones by myself what are the problems/guidelines/whatever? Why hasn't
> this been done before? I mean is it some technical problem or just
> lack
> of time?

Hi Peter,

The SPARC target is currently suffering from lack of maintainer.  I
wrote most of the current sparc port and got it working pretty well,
but haven't had time (or machines) to do further development.  I would
love to see someone add 64-bit ABI and JIT support.  I don't know of
any outstanding patches to add this.  The good news is that there are
no technical problems here, just lack of time.

-Chris