[LLVMdev] Forward: Discussion about custom memory allocators for STL

Dominic Hamon dom.hamon at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:59:21 PDT 2008

me22 wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Dominic Hamon <dom.hamon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a thread elsewhere on this mailing list illustrating how
>> important it is for the maintainers of LLVM to keep LLVM usable in a
>> commercial environment. As such, I would strongly recommend avoiding
>> Boost as it has a bad name in some quarters, regardless of its license,
>> for including work that is not safe for commercial users to take on. Ie,
>> there are so many contributors, and their contribution tracking has been
>> poor in the past, that business affairs departments in commercial
>> companies, and their associated patent lawyers, are unable to determine
>> how much of Boost is truly the authors' own work, and how much is borrowed.
>>
>> Given the delicate relationship between the commercial sector and open
>> source, adding Boost usage to LLVM will harm the commercial sectors view
>> of this product.
>>

> Do you have a source for that opinion?  I've never heard that view of Boost.

The company that I work for that had to pull boost out of a project
after the patent lawyers couldn't reliably determine the sources for
some of the components of boost.

There are other arguments elsewhere on this mailing list against using
boost that are far more specific, however this does come from personal
experience and I thought it important to share.

It has also been mentioned that it is also true for LLVM itself, and it
is. However, the amount of code in LLVM, and the specific nature of its
usage and what it is for lends itself to better contribution tracking
immediately. Boost is a nebulous piece of software with a wide range of
functionality.

Dominic