[LLVMdev] VS build is broken again

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sat May 17 17:17:26 PDT 2008

Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> writes:

[snip]

> Others have suggested alternative build systems before like cmake.
> Apparently cmake can autogenerate VC++ and Xcode project files from
> the same thing that it builds from on unix systems.

cmake creating VC++ project files does not appeal much to me. First,
project files are not mandatory for using MS compiler. Second, I'm
afraid that things like intermediate script invocations may be
translated incorrectly to VC++ projects.

Actually, gmake works well with VC++. The only odd thing is that I use
other compiler (gcc or Intel's icl) for generating header file
dependencies, as VC++ does not output them on a format that gmake
understands (this could be solved with some awk processing).

> Has anyone used cmake in a real system before?  Are there other
> worthwhile alternatives?

Sure. Lots of them. I studied some a few years ago and concluded that it
was not worth the trouble.

Specifically, some of those systems (can't remember which ones) makes
very easy to do essential things that for gmake are a bit complicated,
but then makes very difficult to achieve things that are just a bit
complicated too in gmake.

[snip]

--
Oscar