[LLVMdev] Size and performance figures for LLVM?

Dominic Hamon dom.hamon at gmail.com
Fri May 16 04:43:58 PDT 2008

Bill Wendling wrote:
> On May 14, 2008, at 4:46 AM, Dominic Hamon wrote:
>

>> Bill Wendling wrote:

>>> Is this specifying CC, CXX, and CFLAGS during the "configure" process
>>> or during the "make" process? The Makefiles seem to be using them
>>> in a
>>> fairly consistent manner, as far as I can see. Which parts of the
>>> toolchain don't get the flags? Also, are we talking LLVM or LLVM-GCC?
>>>

>> As an example: When running make from my own project that uses llvm
>> (and
>> the llvm makefiles), I am unable to add extra include paths to the
>> build. It seems that they get into the makefiles ok, but not through
>> the compiler itself.
>>

> What variable are you setting? Here's what the clang project uses in
> its Makefiles
>
> CPPFLAGS += -I$(PROJ_SRC_DIR)/../../include
>
> I *think* that specifying CPPFLAGS on the command line (like this
>
> 	$ make CPPFLAGS=-I/my/own/include/dir
>
> will replace the CPPFLAGS' initial value in the Makefiles.

I'm trying:

    $ make CPPFLAGS += -I/some/dir

I see the -I/some/dir showing up in Compile.CXX and Compile.C when I
make 'printvars', however the build fails as if the path is not in the
command line. When I build with TOOL_VERBOSE=1, I see that it's not
making it through to the comand line at all.

I had a dig through the Makefiles but couldn't see where it was falling
out. I get the same results if I add CPPFLAGS += -I/some/dir to the
Makefile directly.

Thanks
dominic