[LLVMdev] Troubling promotion of return value to Integer ...

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri May 16 01:59:39 PDT 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 15.05.2008, 13:58 -0400 schrieb Jonathan S. Shapiro:
> So far, all of the use cases that I have seen exist because of
> architecture or OS compatibility constraints rather than language
> constraints.

Historically, the OS APIs were written using a specific language (mostly
C nowadays).

So from a lineage perspective, these constraints are language
constraints, from a "why do I need this?" perspective, they are OS
constraints.
This might be the reason why people have different ideas about what kind
of constraint it is (language or OS).

(Architectural constraints are indeed language-independent.)

Regards,
Jo