[LLVMdev] Troubling promotion of return value to Integer ...

Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com
Thu May 15 09:48:52 PDT 2008

I know that many ABIs require this for performance purpose, but I
haven't seen anything in the standard that suggests promotion of return
value to integer. Furthermore, I think the LLVM is supposed to be
independent of language. So I'm not sure if SelectionDAGLowering is the
right place for this promotion to begin with, TargetLowering class seems
more logical; but I'm not sure how.

>> Either way, I think we all agree that the root of the problem is the

>> FIXME in SelectionDAGLowering::visitRet()

>What I would like to know is if the promotion of return values to
integer is specified by the C language standard, or if it is specified
by the (target specific) ABI.