[LLVMdev] patch for building llvm on Windows with MSVC 2008

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed May 14 14:40:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Razvan Aciu wrote:
> I verified the patch and it compiles all the targets, both in Debug and
> Release modes.
>
> If there is no someone else to keep the MSVC projects files updated, I will
> try from time to time to update them and to add the new targets.
> Maybe a note must be put in "docs/GettingStartedVS.html" at the Requirements
> section that llvm needs now MSVC (Express) 2008 to compile.

Actually, several people expressed concern about the requirement for 2008.
At this point, I'm going to leave the patch in the tree (and I think it is
appropriate for llvm 2.3).  If someone is motivated enough to make the
project files work with VC++ 2005, they should revert the 2008 patch,
update the project files, and recommit the 2005 versions.

-Chris

> Razvan

>>> for Release mode. You need the latest release_23 files. I also added a
>>> compiling.txt with some notes.
>>> The .sln and .vcproj files now are updated to the 2008 version of MSVC
>>> Express (my development environment). If you want to keep compatibility
>>> with
>>> MSVC 2005, someone with that environment needs to take the old project
>>> files
>>> and sync them with the current llvm files.
>>
>> I committed this, thanks:
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20080512/062390.html
>>
>> Please verify that this works for you.  If so, we can pull it into the
>> llvm 2.3 release.
>>
>>> Not all llvm subprojects have a corresponding .vcproj. Notably msil, ia64
>>> or
>>> other examples than Fibonacci doesn't have it. It is very simple to add
>>> it,
>>> following the model of the current projects in solution, but I don't want
>>> make these now.
>>
>> Sure, sounds like a second step we can do for llvm 2.4 if there is
>> interest.  Thanks!
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>> --
>> http://nondot.org/sabre/