[LLVMdev] LLVM as a DLL

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed May 14 04:55:39 PDT 2008

Owen Anderson <resistor at mac.com> writes:

> On May 13, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Last time I checked, building LLVM on Windows (MinGW or MSVC) did not
>> produce dlls.
>>
>> Has this changed?
>>
>> I was succesful converting the libraries produced by MinGW to dlls,
>> though.
>
> It's a little bit immaterial whether they're shared or static
> libraries, since one would be distributing them bundled with your
> compiler anyways.  But yes, they are static because certain dynamic
> linkers choke on them when done dynamically.

If I ever distribute LLVM with my compiler, shared libraries are an
absolute requirement. LLVM is big, my compiler is updated from time to
time, and some users have no access to broadband.

In my agenda, using LLVM for production means either introducing support
for building dll's with MSVC++, or swithing to MinGW.

--
Oscar