[LLVMdev] LLVM as a DLL

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Tue May 13 20:34:17 PDT 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> Owen:
>
> Can you clarify what kinds of dynamic linker issues you are seeing? I
> speculate that cross-library dependency resolution is high on the
> list,
> but what else?
>
> shap

Others could probably answer it better (this was before my time), but
my understanding was that certain versions of certain dynamic linkers
took a very long time to load the very large shared libraries that
make up LLVM, resulting in application launch times on the order of
minutes.

The broader issue that LLVM is very large, and exposes an enormous
API, because it is designed to serve many different purposes.  This
results in huge libraries with huge exported symbol sets, which can
(in some cases) result in very poor dynamic linker performance.  Most
modern static linkers also support dead code stripping, so you don't
end up paying too much of a space overhead in the final executable.

--Owen