[LLVMdev] LLVM as a DLL

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Tue May 13 19:22:11 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 21:03 -0500, Owen Anderson wrote:
> On May 13, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> > Last time I checked, building LLVM on Windows (MinGW or MSVC) did not
> > produce dlls.
> >
> > Has this changed?
> >
> > I was succesful converting the libraries produced by MinGW to dlls,
> > though.
> >

> It's a little bit immaterial whether they're shared or static
> libraries, since one would be distributing them bundled with your
> compiler anyways.

Owen:

This is not correct. As the API stabilizes, it will become increasingly
attractive to package LLVM as dynamic libraries.

One consequence of continuous compilation is that there is a
progressively larger body of tools that need to be "in on the joke"
about compilation at various stages. This is particularly true about
things like JIT engines, wherein every single process may need a
completely redundant copy of the LLVM libraries.

So if linkers choke on LLVM, we either need to submit upstream patches
on those linkers or reconfigure the LLVM libraries so that things do not
choke.

shap