[LLVMdev] Preferring to use GCC instead of LLVM

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Tue May 13 05:24:39 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 21:49 +1000, kr512 wrote:

> >> Also, "gas" is not available on Windoze.
> > http://tinyurl.com/64vnua

> Ah you've sent me to a Bart Simpson page.  My 2 young kids
> watch the Simpsons.  I don't.

Check again.  This time a) read the contents of that page and b) wait 15
seconds.  Then look at the first hit.  On that first hit you'll find a
HUGE clue about gas and Windows.

> It is true that I can use the assembler and linker in MinGW,
> but if I do that, then I may as well just simply use MinGW
> to do everything, and not bother with LLVM.  MinGW by itself
> is capable of doing everything I need.  LLVM by itself is
> not.  LLVM would be great if the missing pieces were
> implemented.

Or you could, you know, just download the binutils part of MinGW (I
leave finding this as an exercise for the student, but also leave the
hint that it's a very simple exercise), copy "as.exe" and "ld.exe" and
distribute those.  A quick check with strings and grep gives me this:

$ strings as.exe | grep -i dll
$dlL
fildll
DllCharacteristics      %08x
 vma:            Hint    Time      Forward  DLL       First
        DLL Name: %s
KERNEL32.dll
msvcrt.dll
msvcrt.dll

I think they're standalone.  Of course you could just try instead of
asserting loudly, couldn't you?  Or is that not done in the "real world"
you keep spouting off about?

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter at gmail.com)