[LLVMdev] LLVM as a DLL

kr512 kr512 at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 13 00:34:19 PDT 2008

Tanya Lattner wrote:
> Your "point" has been made (regardless if the point has
> changed over time).

My point did not change, rather I just used the wrong name
in my original message, or I stated my point in a manner
less specific than people here would have preferred.

> You feel the need to keep repeating that LLVM is not a
> COMPLETE backend.

A number of people did not understand my original message so
it was necessary to provide more information.  Also, some
people asked me questions.  You don't expect me to ignore
their questions, do you?  Jon Harrop, for example, asked an
important question that I needed to reply to.

> Fine, thats your opinion based upon your definition of a
> complete backend.

It is an indisputable and agreed FACT that LLVM alone by
itself is incapable of generating a ready-to-execute .EXE or
.DLL file.

> Point made. Please move on.

Oh come on, it is not like I have been harping about this
for weeks.  My first message to this mailing list was only
*3* days ago!  And the total number of messages I have ever
sent to this mailing list is what, 4 or 5 messages?  Whereas
I am sure there are people here who have posted hundreds of
messages.

> If LLVM does not compile with MSVS 2008, then please
> provide patches.  We currently do not have many people
> developing on Windows, so unless someone steps up and
> helps, it will never get better.

I will do what I can.

> LLVM is an open source project. You can not expect people
> who work on it in their free time to magically do all the
> work that you require to make your customers happy.  You
> have to do your part too.

I already started doing my part.  The first step in doing my
part is discussing the issues with the people here, and
trying to understand their points, and trying to help them
understand my points.

To just blindly jump in and start writing code for LLVM
without having a discussion/debate here first, that would be
crazy.  And it has only been *3* days since I joined this
mailing list -- can't you give me a few more days to learn
this environment before expecting contributions from me?

And can't you give other people on this mailing list, busy
people who may not be able to respond immediately, a few
more days to read and reply to my message, so they can add
their valuable insight to the discussion?

I was not expecting people to do free work for me, rather I
was merely providing feedback that I hope will be
useful/helpful to people here, for the purpose of making
LLVM better and more successful.

Also, this is not about making my customers happy.  I only
mentioned them as an example because it makes it easier to
understand the issue from a real-world perspective.  Also,
the improvements to LLVM that I propose would make LLVM much
more attractive to MANY people not only my customers.