[LLVMdev] Preferring to use GCC instead of LLVM

kr512 kr512 at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 12 23:55:16 PDT 2008

me22.ca wrote:
> You said that if I have to install GCC, you might as well
> just use it for everything.  That statement very clearly
> doesn't apply anymore, since it's binutils that's the
> dependency.  Or if you still stand by it, it means that
> you consider GCC to also be "incomplete".

How do I get the necessary binutils on Windoze?  Install
MinGW or Cygwin.  But if I do that, then I may as well use
MinGW for everything and not bother with LLVM.

Our frontend compiler can generate C code as input to a C
compiler (such as GCC in MinGW) and use the C compiler as a
backend solution.  Alternatively our frontend compiler could
be made to generate LLVM instructions as input to LLVM.  The
problem is that LLVM is an incomplete backend solution --
LLVM practically requires that MinGW or Cygwin be installed.

But if MinGW or Cygwin is installed, then I have no need for
LLVM !!

So the point is, Windoze developers will tend to reject LLVM
while it requires that MinGW or Cygwin be installed, because
MinGW/Cygwin eliminate the need for LLVM.

The Solution:
Make LLVM usable as a DLL or SLL in Windoze, capable of
generating a finished ready-to-execute .EXE or .DLL file,
without requiring that MinGW or Cygwin be installed first.