[LLVMdev] 2.3 Branch Creation TODAY!

Tanya M. Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Fri May 9 12:16:26 PDT 2008

> Hi Tanya,
>
> I do not really understand this strict rule :-)
> While I get it from a CVS perspective, in Subversion
> this is simply overkill. For making a branch you simply
> select a revision X, do a "svn -rX up", test,
> if successful, you do "svn info ." and use the URL
> to make a repo -> repo copy:
>
> svn cp -rX URL BRANCHURL
>
> that's it. Noone can spoil your work.

While you are correct is is not usually a problem, that assumes that I do
not check in any changes. If I check in X and someone checks in something
(Y) that should not go into the release, and then I check Z for the
release, I then have to deal with getting Y out. Not a big deal, but I
really want to make this simple.

I don't really think 15 minutes of people not checking into SVN is that
big of a deal. I don't even do anything on the server side, I just ask
people to be kind.

-Tanya