[LLVMdev] Whole-function isel

Dietmar Ebner ebner at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 31 02:37:52 PDT 2008

Evan Cheng wrote:
> That's unfortunate. What kind of licensing issues are there?
i've talked to our supporting company and they agreed to release the
code to interested parties. it's not a copyleft license but the code
can be used freely for private and research purposes.

be warned that the code is merely a prototype implementation and not
ready for inclusion in LLVM. it also requires a cost augmented graph
grammar. for our ARM implementation, we could derive a basic set of
rules directly from the LLVM tablegen description, but additional
handwritten rules (e.g., replacing the c++ written address mode
selection) were necessary. the implementation has been ported from
another private backend which is still evident in some places.

if you're still interested in the code, i could prepare a small package
to play with along with some useful instructions. if you think that a
PBQP based approach would be useful for LLVM and has a chance for
inclusion, i would be willing to bring the code in shape and make
changes where necessary.

-
dietmar

Dietmar Ebner
CD Laboratory - Compilation Techniques for Embedded Processors
Institut fuer Computersprachen  E: ebner at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Technische Universitaet Wien    F: (+431) 58801-18598
Argentinierstrasse 8 / E1851    T: (+431) 58801-58521
1040 Wien, Austria              W: www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/cd/ebner