[LLVMdev] Compile programs with the LLVM Compiler as a gsoc project

Kumaripaba Miyurusara Atukorala paba50 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 21:34:29 PDT 2008

hi,
Several doubts aroused after I read through all the information provided in
former  mails. They are

> > I think this would be a great project.  However, I would rephrase it
> > to be more concrete.
> >
> > How about taking a linux distro like redhat or gentoo or whatever you
> > are familiar of comfortable with, and try compiling the whole thing
> > with llvm-gcc?  As part of the GSoC project, you could file bug
> > reports for any issues you hit and help track down problems.

1) I thought of taking the gcc compiler and compiling it with llvm since it
is easier to make test cases to test the system. Is gcc compiler already
built with llvm? if so I have the linux kernel as the second option. What is
your openion on this ?

> Excellent idea!
>
> When testing large code bases built with llvm, and trying to track down
> where the problem is it would be very useful to have an automated tool
> to help. Something similar to 'git bisect', or bugpoint but for many
> source files.
>
> For example: built entire code with gcc, get some "expected output" (run
> make check, ....), same for llvm-gcc. If they differ, start tracking
> down (automatically!) in which source files the problem is.  Then you
> build half code with llvm, half with gcc. If it breaks, you build 1/4
> llvm, 3/4 gcc; if it doesn't break you build 3/4 llvm, 1/4 gcc, and so
> on. The situation should be logged by a tool, because for example I
> would certainly forget which build worked, and which one didn't.
> It would make sense to cache files previously built, an easy way to do
> that would be to build everything with one compiler, then backup&remove
> one half, and built it with the other compiler (just run make with the
> correct compiler, it will rebuild the missing files). Then restore the
> half, remove a quarter, repeat.
>
> If this tool could be a drop-in wrapper for CC/CXX, it would be
> excellent, since nearly every autotooled package could be tested this way.
>
> 2) you've mentioned about using a tool to test the system that I'll be
building with LLVM. Do I have to develop this tool from the scratch or are
there any existing tools that can be made use of?

Thank you,
Kumaripaba