[LLVMdev] Compile programs with the LLVM Compiler as a gsoc project

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Mar 30 09:57:52 PDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 11:53 PM, Kumaripaba Miyurusara Atukorala wrote:

> hi,
> This e-mail is written to involve some of the project ideas in LLVM
> in GSOC this year.
> I was looking in to the ideas mentioned under improving current
> system and found the idea of "Compile programs with the LLVM
> Compiler" to be interesting. I would like to compile one of the
> large code bases that have not yet been compiled with LLVM and
> convert the build system to be compatible with the LLVM Programs
> testsuite.
>
> But I have several doubts to be clarified. They are listed below.
> I would like to know whether this is a suitable project for GSOC?
> What software has already been compiled with LLVM and what are not;
> so that I can identify the possible candidates for the project?
I think this would be a great project.  However, I would rephrase it
to be more concrete.

How about taking a linux distro like redhat or gentoo or whatever you
are familiar of comfortable with, and try compiling the whole thing
with llvm-gcc?  As part of the GSoC project, you could file bug
reports for any issues you hit and help track down problems.

-Chris