[LLVMdev] [Proposal] GSoC 2008 project proposal for improving the llvm-test testsuite

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Sun Mar 30 09:18:12 PDT 2008

Hi, sounds like a nice project.  Some comments below.

> *1. Project title:*
> Extend the llvm-test testsuite to include new programs and benchmaraks[1],

benchmaraks -> benchmarks

> and give a web service interface to run a test build remotely.

Also, this is not a title, it is a summary.  How about calling it:
"Improve the llvm testsuite"

> *2. Abstract:*
> LLVM[2] is a collection of  libraries and header files of a virtual machine
> and  has a GCC-front end in which C/C++ programs can be compiled into LLVM
> bitcode.

How about: LLVM[2] is a set of libraries and tools for code optimization,
including a a virtual machine and a GCC-front end capable of compiling
C, C++, ObjectiveC, Ada and Fortran programs.

> The aim of this project is to improve the testsuite[3] of LLVM, which is an

improve the testsuite[3] of LLVM -> improve the LLVM testsuite[3]

> extremely useful task.

In general it is a bad idea to make this kind of unsupported claim: saying
that something is "extremely useful" without explaining *why* it is extremely
useful.  You would do better to say:  This would be extremely useful because
X, Y and Z.

> So the tesuite of the llvm is extended by including
> this new programs and benchmarks[1].

-> Firstly, by expanding the coverage of the testsuite by adding new programs
and benchmarks[1].

At this point I had to go and do something else - I may be able to comment more
later.

Best wishes,

Duncan.