[LLVMdev] GSoC Proposal: Language bindings via. SWIG

Mahadevan R mdevan.foobar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:45:33 PDT 2008

>  but I'd just like to point out that for python bindings at least, you
>  can quite easily manipulate the LLVM infrastructure via ctypes as a
>  shared object / dll -- no C required! Those of us interested in talking

ctypes brings with it it's own troubles. To use it in any non-trivial way,
one must write enough non-trivial wrapper code in Python. Performance
is also affected (though I haven't measured it myself).

Boost.Python[1] is another option.

All said, it is not so difficult to write Python extensions in C (which
probably is one reason so many glue tools exist?).

Regards,
-MD.

[1] http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html