[LLVMdev] Host leak-through

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Fri Mar 28 04:44:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:48 +0200, Pertti Kellomäki wrote:
> Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> > LLVM has a back end that emits C code. How machine dependent is the
> > emitted C code?
>
> The dependence I was referring to are things like sizeof(int).
> I doubt the emitted C code has many dependences.

I'll have to look at the emitted code. If an IR i32 gets emitted as an
int32_t, that's good. But if the target int happens to be 32 bits, and
the emitter therefore generates int, that's bad.

In any case that would only solve half of my problem, because LLVM
doesn't have anything analogous to a word type in the IR. C emission is
really the only use case for that, so I'm not convinced that it is
worthwhile to add it.

shap