[LLVMdev] Host leak-through

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Thu Mar 27 13:03:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 21:39 +0200, Pertti Kellomäki wrote:
> Except that some aspects of the host platform leak through
> to .bc files. This may or may not be a problem.

A question about this occurred to me last night.

BitC has only one machine-dependent type: word. The current runtime.h
file typedef's this in a machine-dependent way, but all of the C code
emitted by our current back end uses the typedef. Originally we intended
to have a self-hosting compiler, and this provided us with a way to do
bootstrap.

LLVM has a back end that emits C code. How machine dependent is the
emitted C code?

shap