[LLVMdev] Whole-function isel

Dietmar Ebner ebner at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 25 09:40:29 PDT 2008

Chris,

Chris Lattner wrote:
> I would love to see any progress in this area.  It is clearly an
> important thing to tackle, and it is blocking other interesting
> improvements in the code generator.  It would also allow us to
> eliminate a significant amount of weirdness that exists to hack around
> this (e.g. switch lowering).
we've been working on a whole-function instruction selector here at the
vienna university of technology in the recent past. our approach
considers ssa graphs and is based on a problem transformation to a
specialized quadratic assignment problem (pbqp). in contrast to previous
work [1], the technique is flexible enough to cope with general DAG
patterns such as pre/postincrement or divmod patterns.

the instruction selector is a drop-in replacement for the original
implementation (llvm 2.1). we've used the ARM backend for evaluation and
obtained quite encouraging results: speedups are up to 10% for
SPEC/Mibench and up to 57% for simple loop kernels. the compile time
increase is about a factor of 2.

the paper has been accepted for this year's LCTES conference (june
12-13, tucson, az). i'm afraid i cannot post it on the list but i'm
happy to send a preliminary version to anybody who's interested.

the implementation is not yet as efficient as it could be (e.g., we
maintain an additional datastructure for the ssa graph along with the
selection DAG) and i'm afraid there are licensing issues that do not
allow me to directly post or contribute the code. however, i'm happy to
share further experimental results and discuss the approach in case
somebody is interested.

-
dietmar

[1] Erik Eckstein, Oliver König and Bernhard Scholz
     Code Instruction Selection Based on SSA-Graphs
     SCOPES 2003
     http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/83cj0ebgtm998hj8

Dietmar Ebner
CD Laboratory - Compilation Techniques for Embedded Processors
Institut fuer Computersprachen  E: ebner at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Technische Universitaet Wien    F: (+431) 58801-18598
Argentinierstrasse 8 / E1851    T: (+431) 58801-58521
1040 Wien, Austria              W: www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/cd/ebner