[LLVMdev] Potential breakage in llvm-gcc's ./configure

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 05:08:30 PDT 2008

Hi Jo,

> No, that was written under the assumption that passing in CC and CXX
> via env variables wouldn't work. Things work now, so that assumption
> is obviously wrong.
>
> I still don't like environment variables. They tend to remain in
> effect long after I forgot that I set them, creating all sorts of
> hassle. In fact I suspect I already fell prey to this, getting llvm to
> compile and check one day and nearly despairing when trying to
> reproduce that success on the next day.  But, well, you use what you
> need to use to get the job done, so there :-)

Are you aware that

    FOO=bar ./configure

makes the shell set an environment variable just for the running of
./configure, i.e. it isn't an envvar in your shell as

    FOO=bar; export FOO
    ./configure

would do.  But it still an envvar, unlike

    ./configure FOO=bar

It may help.

    $ env | grep FOO
    $ FOO=bar env | grep FOO