[LLVMdev] Just got bitten by accidentally using the wrong gcc

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Mar 21 04:35:17 PDT 2008

Am Freitag, den 21.03.2008, 09:16 +0100 schrieb Duncan Sands:
> > There's a list at http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc so
> > there is a reasonable basis.
> > The list isn't comprehensive, of course, and will likely grow in the
> > future. OTOH extending it as new problems come up should be easy to do.
>
> that list is not very reliable.  For example it says that gcc-4.1 is
> problematic, but I never had any problems with it on ubuntu linux.  So
> it's probably best to warn if a dubious tool is seen, rather than erroring
> out.

I have to report that the Ubuntu gcc-4.1 will fail. 'make' would run
without giving more than a few warnings, but 'make install' will
complain that it doesn't know how to build one of the intermediate
targets and error out (some VMCore/tablegen file IIRC, I don't have the
log anymore).

Of course, such a list cannot ever be reliable, so giving a warning is
probably the best strategy anyway.
Is there a real difference between an error and a warning
in ./configure, anyway?

Regards,
Jo