[LLVMdev] Just got bitten by accidentally using the wrong gcc

Tanya M. Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Thu Mar 20 15:44:33 PDT 2008

>> I just forgot to ./configure with CC=gcc-4.2 CXX=g++-4.2, getting the
>> (broken-for-LLVM) gcc-4.1 as a compiler.
>> The error message that I got was this:
>>  make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/lib/VMCore'
>>  make[1]: *** No rule to make target
>>    `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/Release/bin/tblgen', needed by
>>    `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/lib/VMCore/Release/Intrinsics.gen.tmp'.  Stop.
>>  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/lib/VMCore'
>>  make: *** [install] Error 1
>>
>> It took me a while to figure out what went wrong.
>>
>> I guess I'm not the only one to stumble upon this problem.
>>
>> Would it be a good idea to make ./configure check whether there's an
>> incompatible tool configured, and carp if it finds one?
>
> Probably be a good idea. It's reasonably easy to check major/minor
> versions.

Its not just a matter of checking major/minor versions. It also depends on
the target and in some cases the OS.
http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc

So for example, GCC 3.3.3 on Suse or GCC 3.4.0 on linux/x86
(32-bit) has issues. Is it easy to check these kinds of things? Do we even
want to?

I guess it could be done for things like 4.1.1 or a couple of others on
the list.

-Tanya