[LLVMdev] Just got bitten by accidentally using the wrong gcc

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Mar 20 15:00:36 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I just forgot to ./configure with CC=gcc-4.2 CXX=g++-4.2, getting the
(broken-for-LLVM) gcc-4.1 as a compiler.
The error message that I got was this:
  make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/lib/VMCore'
  make[1]: *** No rule to make target
    `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/Release/bin/tblgen', needed by
    `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/lib/VMCore/Release/Intrinsics.gen.tmp'.  Stop.
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jo/llvm-wrk/lib/VMCore'
  make: *** [install] Error 1

It took me a while to figure out what went wrong.

I guess I'm not the only one to stumble upon this problem.

Would it be a good idea to make ./configure check whether there's an
incompatible tool configured, and carp if it finds one?

Regards,
Jo