[LLVMdev] Proposal for GSoC project for improving llvm-test testsuite

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Mar 19 10:21:03 PDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 5:13 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> There are two test suites. One lives in llvm/test and I gather it
> checks
> for regressions and essential features (mostly). It is designed to run
> quickly (a few minutes).

The goal here is to test features and check regressions. The tests are
written by LLVM developers. Usually the tests are based on new
features OR derived from bug reports. It is expected that each llvm
check-in is proceeded by at least on llvm/test check.

> The other lives in projects/llvm-test and exercizes the full array of
> available tests, in particular those that take a lot of time (such
> tests
> help to identify optimizations that could improve).

The primary goal here is to measure and monitor performance. This
suite includes benchmarks and applications from various domains. This
suite uses makefiles to accommodate benchmark and application specific
build instructions.

> To further complicate matters, the llvm/test suite uses dejagnu to
> manage tests and collect results, while projects/llvm-test uses just
> makefiles.

-
Devang