[LLVMdev] Proposal for a Google summer of code project for the Java frontend.

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Tue Mar 18 01:42:15 PDT 2008

Ramón García wrote:
> I would like to see the code of your front end.

It should be available in a week or two. I'm currently dealing with
licensing issues.

> I started working with llvm-java, since it was what was available. It
> does not run yet (small compilation issues, almost done),
> but the design seems fine. It can run (when setup complete) small
> pieces of Java code, but no real application, since it does
> not support exception handling (jsr/ret bytecodes) yet,nor garbage
> collection. Implementing these pieces would be the purpose
> of this summer grant request.
>
> A Java and CLI front end would be really interesting. What missing
> features could I implement? I can start preparing a proposal.

There is no real missing feature. The VMs can execute standard
applications (last time I checked, the JVM can run tomcat), and the
implementations follow the VM specifications. The CLI implementation
lacks generics and overflow detection, but this is not top priority in
my mind.

Among many features, here are the ones that I'd _love_ to see implemented:
1) Compilation optimizations for type-safe languages (including
type-based alias analysis)
2) Hotspot-like vm: switching between interpreter and compiler, applying
different optimizations depending on a method's hotness, doing on-stack
replacement
3) Implementing a garbage collector with llvm facilities: currently my
GC is not related to the compiler (consider it like Boehm's). It would
be nice to see how do the LLVM intrinsics fit with Java/CLI and JIT.

Nicolas