[LLVMdev] newbie questions about setting up a new project

Joe Strout joe at inspiringapps.com
Fri Mar 14 21:33:46 PDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 10:11 PM, Sam Bishop wrote:

> Is the tutorial you're referring to the Projects.html page, or
> something different?

I was referring to <http://www.llvm.org/docs/tutorial/
JITTutorial1.html>, but laboring under the belief that it would first
be a good idea to first get through GettingStarted.html, which
recommends putting your stuff under "projects" based on "sample", and
led me to Projects.html.

I'm still stuck on that whole "projects" business -- the sample in my
build directory doesn't match the description on Projects.html, but
"make" works (apparently referencing source files under llvm-2.2/
projects); and the one under llvm-2.2 matches the description and
contains source files, but "make" there doesn't work.

However, after looking at the tutorial again, I realized that it
doesn't matter -- I don't need a complex file hierarchy or even a
Makefile; Owen provides a one-liner to compile and link the tutorial
code at the bottom of the page.  This works fine for me, regardless
of where I put the source file.

So, while I still think the projects/sample issue is a confusing
stumbling block, I'm willing to ignore it for now and presume that
deeper understanding will come later.

>   And what OS are you using?

OS X 10.4.11.

Best,