[LLVMdev] Vector instructions

Stefanus Du Toit stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com
Mon Jun 30 08:25:09 PDT 2008

On 27-Jun-08, at 3:13 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> You should look into how this works with clang.  Clang allows you to
> do things like this, for example:
>
> typedef __attribute__(( ext_vector_type(4) )) float float4;
>
> float2 vec2, vec2_2;
> float4 vec4, vec4_2;
> float f;
>
> void test2() {
>     vec2 = vec4.xy;  // shorten
>     f = vec2.x;      // extract elt
>     vec4 = vec4.yyyy;  // splat
>     vec4.zw = vec2;    // insert
> }
>
> etc.  It also offers operators to extract all the even or odd elements
> of a vector, do arbitrary two-input-vector shuffles with
> __builtin_shuffle etc.

Right, our frontend supports all these things as well. I think it's a
pretty small change to shufflevector to be able to support any of
these with a single LLVM IR instruction. We'll have a look at how
clang handles this.

>> OK. I'd love to hear more, especially if someone is planning to do
>> this in the short term.
>
> Most of the extensions you suggest are great ideas, but we need more
> than ideas: we need someone to help implement the ideas ;-).

Understood. I didn't mean to imply that I expect someone to do
this :). If someone was already working on something like this it
would be valuable to know though. I really just want to understand if
these are real gaps or there's something I'm missing.

>>> It turns out that having them return vectors of i1 would be somewhat
>>> complicated. For example, a <4 x i1> on an SSE2 target could expand
>>> either to 1 <4 x i32> or 2 <2 x i64>s, and the optimal thing would
>>> be to make the decision based on the comparison that produced them,
>>> but LLVM isn't yet equipped for that.
>>
>> Can you expand on this a bit? I'm guessing you're referring to
>> specific mechanics in LLVM's code generation framework making this
>> difficult to do?
>
> I'm not sure that it really is a matter of what is easy or hard to do
> in LLVM.  This model more closely matches the model implemented by
> common SIMD systems like Altivec, SSE, CellSPU, Alpha, etc.  The
> design of the system was picked to model the systems that we know of
> well, we obviously can't plan to handle systems that we don't know
> about.

Those are precisely the architectures I have in mind as well. I was
curious to hear more about why "LLVM isn't yet equipped for that".

Take the SPU for example. In the quote above, Dan mentioned it's
necessary to make the decision as to what to actually use as the
representation for an i1 based on the comparison that generated it. On
SSE this is true for vectors of i1. On the SPU, this is true even for
scalars, since there's no actual condition register, and booleans must
be represented as bitmasks when it comes to selecting from them. Thus
this problem must be solved with the IR as it is today to map a
regular scalar cmp followed by a scalar select instruction to
efficient SPU code.

Of course an option is to make this a problem for the frontend instead
of the backend, but in the case of vectors that's difficult to do
right now without vector shifts, and there are cases where the backend
will be able to make a smarter choice about the representation of
booleans (e.g. using bit operations vs CMOV on x86).

>>> vicmp and vfcmp are very much aimed at solving practical problems on
>>> popular architectures without needing significant new infrastructure
>>> They're relatively new, and as you say, they'll be more useful when
>>> combined with vector shifts and friends and we start teaching LLVM
>>> to recognize popular idioms with them.
>>
>> Can you give me examples of how they are used today at all? I'm
>> having
>> a really hard time figuring out a good use for them (that doesn't
>> involve effectively scalarizing them immediately) without these other
>> instructions.
>
> They can be used with target-specific intrinsics.  For example, SSE
> provides a broad range of intrinsics to support instructions that LLVM
> IR can't express well.  See llvm/include/llvm/IntrinsicsX86.td for
> more details.

Ah, now that makes sense. I can see how these instructions can be
useful if one is also using intrinsics.

> If you're interested in helping shape the direction of LLVM vector
> support, my advice is that "patches speak louder than words" :).  I'd
> love to see improved vector support in LLVM, but unless someone is
> willing to step forward and implement it, it is all just idle talk.

Absolutely understood. As a past contributor to and maintainer of a
number of open source projects, I hear you! I just want to make sure
I'm understanding the existing semantics, and the reasons behind them,
correctly, before I venture way off course! :)

--
Stefanus Du Toit <stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com>
   RapidMind Inc.