[LLVMdev] Backend for the ZPU - a stack based / zero operand CPU

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Sun Jun 22 21:44:07 PDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, [ISO-8859-1] ?yvind Harboe wrote:
>>> The ZPU has two instructions that I'd also like to use. These
>>> instructions
>>> can push a value from deeper down on the stack and also pop a value
>>> from the stack and store them deeper down on the stack.
>>
>> Sounds like the Intel X87 floating point stack, which we support.
>
> GCC does as well. Supporting floating point is a different game
> than "normal" instructions since it interferes with frame pointers,
> etc.

We mean ZPU looks like x86 fp stack. We handle it by register
allocating it like a normal register based cpu than add a x87
stackifer pass to convert it to stack operations.

>>> The ZPU needs relaxation. Immediate values and
>>> pc/sp relative references have variable lengths.
>>>
>>> Does llvm support ?nstruction relaxation?
>>
>> Yes, many targets (e.g. arm, mips, ppc) have branch offset
>> restrictions.
>
> I wrote the relaxation support in gas + the GCC linker. Do I need to
> reimplement it somehow?

You do not have to. Take a look at PPC and ARM branch fix up passes.
llvm backends compute exact length of instructions so it can determine
when it is necessary to convert a conditional branch to a conditional
branch of the opposite condition and a unconditional branch.

Evan