[LLVMdev] LLVM and loop optimizations

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Jun 11 23:10:32 PDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 3:59 AM, Gaster, Benedict wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are currently evaluating LLVM as a compiler technology against
> Open64 and have a few questions regarding its currently status with
> respect to optimizations in particular.

Hi Benedict,

As others have said, LLVM does not have much in the way of high-level
dependence-analysis based loop transformations.  There are several
groups that are interested in this, so I expect this to start
improving over the next months.

Pragmatically speaking, the right choice for you probably depends on
your goals.  If you need to get something running as soon as possible
and need these high level loop xforms, Open64 is probably the way to
go.  If you are interested in the long term and interested in
contributing to make this happen, I strongly believe LLVM is a better
choice than Open64.  We would obviously welcome any input and
contributions from AMD of course.

-Chris