[LLVMdev] Shared libs?

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:36:35 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Thomas Hudson <hudson at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I've been playing with LLVM for a couple of months now and really am
> enjoying myself. I finally got around to doing something useful and
> had started implementing bindings for Ruby. I've been working off the
> tip of trunk and realized my build didn't have shared libs. I've spent
> the better part of a day trying to build llvm with shared libraries
> with no luck on either Mac OS X 10.5.2 , or Ubuntu 8.04.

This isn't first-hand, but from what I remember hearing on IRC,
putting llvm into shared libraries caused a ridiculous explosion in
dynamic linking (and therefore startup) times.  So there is no option
to make shared libraries, at least at the moment.

If you'd like to elaborate on why exactly you need shared libs, you
might get a better answer.

-Eli