[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Thu Jul 31 21:22:14 PDT 2008

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Kenneth Boyd <zaimoni at zaimoni.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking of constructing a mirror test suite coordinated
>> using
>> shell scripts (bash)
>>

> Please no, pick a real language.  I love bash and it is fine for any
> 200 line or less program, but for much beyond that, something else.
> Python?c? C++?

If I thought C was an appropriate choice to get this done, I'd be
patching the expect source code instead to deal with Microsoft's
non-implementation of POSIX.

If a language conceals the differences between POSIX and Microsoftian C
for interprocess control, hides badly non-POSIX filepaths from me, and
has a reasonable track record of forward compatibility, and has a
reasonably universal build process, I'll consider crash-learning the
language if I'm not already working in it.

[I do some programming in Python already.  Python lost out because it
hasn't been forward-compatible on my in-house projects; broken
non-deprecated features have forced maintenance on the 2.2 |-> 2.3, 2.3
|-> 2.4, and 2.4 |-> 2.5 version jumps.  Annoying; the subprocess module
is an ideal match.]

Kenneth