[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Jul 31 07:32:12 PDT 2008

Albert Graef <Dr.Graef at t-online.de> writes:

>> Some points you mention on your web page are solved.
>
> Which ones? (Just curious.)

No cross-compilation.

C99 compiler check missing: You can check the compiler support for a
flag with just one line.

pkg-config support broken. My understanding is that it is fixed.

>> Others are not applicable to LLVM.
>
> That might be the case now,
[snip]

I'm mainly concerned with solving current problems, such as the VC++
build.

> The broken mingw support (as pointed out by Stuart) would already be a
> major showstopper for me (and probably for many others who rely on mingw
> to ease the creation of native Windows ports).

I plan to attack MinGW as soon as VC++ is finished. I found the sh/MSYS
problems and think there are workarounds. Anyways, one of the main
reasons for choosing CMake is that reportedly developers listen to their
users and care about fixing bugs.

> I do understand that you need a solution for MSVC where autoconf et al
> don't help much and cmake makes things much easier. But throwing out the
> current build system in favour of cmake is only a viable option if it
> works (at least) on all platforms supported by LLVM right now, as well
> as it does right now. That remains to be proven. Otherwise you just pass
> the buck from MSVC developers to everyone else.

As already mentioned several times, I don't pretend throwing out the
current build. I want to improve things for VC++ and try to extend this
improvements to the rest of users. You can be assured that your LLVM
build will not fall apart overnight. I don't even have commit rights to
the svn repository.

--
Oscar