[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Vladimir Prus vladimir at codesourcery.com
Wed Jul 30 23:59:09 PDT 2008

Makarov, Dmitri wrote:

> I too have done some work on an alternative build system for llvm.  It is based on boost.build.
> Of course, it's quite a large project and I'm not ready to contribute the work yet.  Ideally I was
> hoping to replace all of makefile functionality with jamfiles.  Boost.build is attractive because
> support for new compilers/tools comes with new releases of boost.build and need not be added
> manually by llvm developers/users.

Chris and I have talked about Boost.Build-based solution some time ago, and I volunteered to work
on it. Unfortunately, I did not have as much time recently as I would have hoped, but if you have
some code already, I can just help with getting it into shape. (Note that I'm Boost.Build developer
myself).

- Volodya