[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Thu Jul 31 00:46:42 PDT 2008

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Some points you mention on your web page are solved.

Which ones? (Just curious.)

> Others are not applicable to LLVM.

That might be the case now, but the lack of even basic functionality in
some areas (in particular, no advanced feature checks, no make
dist/distcheck, no make uninstall, lack of useful trace options when
something goes wrong during a build, arcane user interface) might well
become major roadblocks in the future.

The broken mingw support (as pointed out by Stuart) would already be a
major showstopper for me (and probably for many others who rely on mingw
to ease the creation of native Windows ports).

I do understand that you need a solution for MSVC where autoconf et al
don't help much and cmake makes things much easier. But throwing out the
current build system in favour of cmake is only a viable option if it
works (at least) on all platforms supported by LLVM right now, as well
as it does right now. That remains to be proven. Otherwise you just pass
the buck from MSVC developers to everyone else.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag