[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Stefanus Du Toit sdt at rapidmind.com
Wed Jul 30 10:02:30 PDT 2008

Hi Oscar,

On 30-Jul-08, at 9:41 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> 1. General LLVM users: Are you so happy with `configure' and hand-made
> makefiles that you wont consider an alternative? If you are
> interested,
> I can steer my work to cover all platforms.

We (RapidMind) are very interested. We would very much like to see a
unified build system across MSVC/Windows and gcc/Linux/OS X.

We have considered contributing such a build system, and if we were to
do so would probably base it on SCons (http://www.scons.org/) because
we already use SCons extensively. I have a small prototype of this.
We're not really partial to a particular implementation though, as
long as it allows a unified, scriptable, build environment across the
various platforms. SCons has the nice property that its build scripts
are Python, so you can do just about anything with it.

> 2. VC++ users: Are you interested on a tool that generates project
> files or makefiles for your IDE or your free VC++ compiler, and with a
> simpler maintenance?

Yes :)

Are you intending for your build system to support all the features of
the existing make-based build system, e.g. running the test suite,
supporting cross compilation, etc.?

--
Stefanus Du Toit <stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com>
   RapidMind Inc.