[LLVMdev] Analysis Passes

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Fri Jul 25 13:36:53 PDT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Marc de Kruijf wrote:

> I'd like to write a pass that does both: implements a code
> transformation and saves information that can be accessed by
> subsequent passes.

Ideally, we want to use two separate pass. However, it is quiet
possible that your requirement is unique. Would it be possible to
provide more info. on what your pass does ?

> If such a pass is not an Analysis pass and that therefore subsequent
> passes are not supposed to use getAnalysis() to extract the
> information from that pass... what is the right way to do this?

> Right now I am using getAnalysis to get the information from the non-
> analysis (transformation)  pass.  It works, but now it sounds like
> that's not correct usage....

One alternative approach is to use getAnalysisToUpdate() to access
this info. This interface does not require you to register requirement
using getAnalysisUsage(). getAnalysisToUpdate() will return null if
the requested info is not available and users are expected to handle
this.

The reason why it is not a good idea to request transformation pass
through getAnalysisUsage() is: when requested transformation pass does
not preserve some info that is required by the original pass then pass
manager may not able to handle this properly.

However, if there is a good requirement, I'm ready to let
getAnalysis() access transformation pass.
-
Devang