[LLVMdev] Erlang

Simon Ask Ulsnes vinterbleg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 00:19:49 PDT 2008

2008/7/24 Owen Anderson <resistor at mac.com>:
>> * They are isolated and the only way to exchange information is
>> message passing
>>
> This one is hard to guarantee in a compiled context, unless you
> implement a lot of stuff to track pointer values.  Remember, all of
> these threads will be sharing an address space.  If you want true
> protection, you'll want something more like fork(), but that defeats
> your other two goals.

Couldn't this also be semi-guaranteed by the design of the language?
For instance, if you completely disallow pointer arithmetics and
always pass by value when passing messages. Could probably be quite a
bit of copying, but if the guarantee is important, I'm guessing this
is cheaper than tracking all pointers. I could easily be completely
wrong.

- Simon