[LLVMdev] Erlang

Álvaro Castro Castilla alvaro.castro.castilla at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:30:03 PDT 2008

Hi,

Sorry for the vagueness.

I'm starting to think about an experimental programming language
based, among other things, on microthreads, or green threads, as
Erlang has. I'm still under a very vague stage, just thinking on it,
so I was wondering on the way this could be achieved.

What I know from microthreads are things like:

* They don't have their own stack
* Switching between threads is controlled by the application, not the OS
* They are isolated and the only way to exchange information is message passing

Erlang requires an interpreter for this, but, how could I achieve a
similar feature for my language with the LLVM JIT?

I hope this is a bit clearer,

Thank you!

.alvaro.castro.