[LLVMdev] Structs as first class values.

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Sun Jul 20 18:55:30 PDT 2008

Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Richard Pennington wrote:
> I'm sure the implementation will take the same approach, but it won't
> necessarily be ABI compatible.  I don't know enough to say at this
> point... it may end up being ABI compatible or not depending on
> implementation details.

Hi Chris,

I was thinking about my problem and thought that there might be a good
interim solution. I would like not to clutter my front end with stuff
that will go away. How about a pass that runs before code generation
that changes functions returning structs to void functions with the
return pointer first parameter?

I've not written an LLVM pass (yet), and I'd I'd like to get my feet
wet. Does this seem like a reasonable (temporary) solution to this problem?

-Rich