[LLVMdev] binutils + gdb/insight targeted to LLVM

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Thu Jul 17 19:51:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

As part of my work with Elsa/LLVM I've been trying to wean myself from
gcc, I'm using my own preprocessor now (to eliminate gcc -E) and have
been calling ld and as directly. To do this, I've set up a version of
bunutils (based on 2.18.50) and gdb/insight (based on 6.8) to handle all
the LLVM targets (except PIC, see below).

The nice thing about gdb 6.8 is that one binary can deal with multiple
(remote) targets. I've configured and built this package for the
following targets:

alpha-elf
arm-elf
spu-elf
ia64-elf
nios2-elf
mips-elf
powerpc-elf
powerpc64-elf
sparc-elf
x86-elf
x86_64-elf
x86-pe

The nios2 support was added from the Altera port. I'm working on a Nios2
code generator for LLVM.

This package builds one assembler for each target, one gdb/insight for
all, one linker for all, and the other binutils utilities supporting all
processors.

If anyone is interested, you can grab the package with svn from
http://www.ellcc.org/svn/ellcc/trunk/gnu/

The is a shell script "makegnu" that should build the package for you.

This is very preliminary stuff. I've compiled programs for all the
targets and assembled them. I've debugged programs on my linux host.
I've linked programs for Linux.

My question is: What assembler does the LLVM PIC target use? I'd like to
add it to my collection. I don't think gas supports the PIC in version 2.18.

For more (rough) information on ellcc, see http://ellcc.org, especially
the wiki (http://www.ellcc.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).

-Rich