[LLVMdev] Including svn version number in --version output

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Thu Jul 10 10:47:35 PDT 2008

On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:47 PM, Tanya Lattner wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Devang Patel wrote:
>

>> On Jul 9, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
>>

>>> Why not set the VERSUFFIX to be " (Based on Apple Inc. build 5555)
>>> (LLVM
>>> rXXXX)"
>>>
>>> Where you set the revision number?
>>
>> I do not want to set the revision number in a source file every
>> time I
>> do 'svn update' :)
>>

> Ok, so I'm confused. Don't you want the svn revision number to be
> shown when you do llvm-gcc --version? So why wouldn't you want to
> update it everytime you update and then compile? Shouldn't it match
> whatever svn version your build is using?

I want build-llvm-gcc-but-rebuild-only-modified-files command to
automatically pick up svn revision number, but I do not want to
enforce "svn update" wrapper usage, if possible, to store svn revision
number somewhere. And I do not want to reuse build number.

>>> We currently use LLVM_VERSION_INFO to set this sort of information
>>> and to
>>> me it makes more sense to have the svn rev number there instead of
>>> just
>>> saying LLVM build like it does now.
>>
>> LLVM_VERSION_INFO indicates build numbers.
>>

> Well, isn't that what you want? You are basically labeling a build
> with an svn revision number. Except instead of making someone set
> LLVM_VERSION_INFO you modify it for them when its not set (or use
> some other macro).

Let's take example of checker build Ted produces on cfe-dev list. He
regularly announces checker builds at http://clang.llvm.org/StaticAnalysis.html
. The last one is checker-59 and it is not checker-(svn-revision-
number). The build number, 59 in this example, is useful for the end
user to connect the software build he received. The svn revision
number is useful for the developer to track source base in svn.
Usually, build number corresponds to a tag in svn tree.

We have LLVM_VERSION_INFO to set build number. We need another
mechanism to track svn revision numbers. This will even useful when
people try to track issues reported by nightly tester, for example.

> Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you want it to show when you do --
> version or how it is set.

> -Tanya

-
Devang