[LLVMdev] DEBUG

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Jul 7 13:57:25 PDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, David Greene wrote:
>> Since I think it really is a part of the LLVM internals, I don't think
>> that mangling it with a prefix is the right way to go.  This would
>> significantly increase verbosity in the code and would be generally
>> detrimental.
>
> Verbose, yes, but "generally detrimental?"  That's a pretty strong statement.

More specifically, this impacts the tyranical :) 80 column limit we have:

DEBUG(cout << "whatever stuff here" << yeah << "ok");

is much more clear to me than:

LLVM_DEBUG(cout << "whatever stuff here"
                 <<  yeah << "ok");

To be specific, excess wrapping and clutter is what I would find
detrimental.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/