[LLVMdev] addrspace attribute and intrisics

Benedict Gaster benedict.gaster at amd.com
Mon Jul 7 02:40:59 PDT 2008

Hi,

Great I look forward to the patch!

One comment I had was on the name of the overloaded intrinsics. In
your example you resolve the atomic.load.add to:

	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p0i32     // i32 ptr to default address space
	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p11i32   // i32 ptr to address space 11

and I was wondering could they instead be named:

	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p0.i32     // i32 ptr to default address space
	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p11.i32   // i32 ptr to address space 11

For me this is a little easier to read and separates out the type
components.  I expect that there might be an LLVM naming convention
that I am not aware off, that invalidates my suggestion.

Given these changes enable atomics with the ability to work on
different address spaces, there becomes the need to be able to express
barriers for these different address spaces. The problem is that the
current barrier operation does not provide enough granularity:
<ss>, i1 <device> )
I was wondering if this would be possible to fix?  One possible
solution to this is to provide an additional argument which ranges
over valid address spaces, e.g.:
<ss>, i32 addrspace, i1 <device> )
and we can now write the code:
	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p0i32
	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p11i32

         %r1 = call i32 @llvm.atomic.load.add.p0i32( i32 addrspace(0)*
%ptr0, i32 4)
	%r2 = call i32 @llvm.atomic.load.add.p11i32( i32 addrspace(11)*
%ptr11, i32 4)
	call void @llvm.memory.barrier(i1 true, i1 true, i1 false, i1 false,
i32 11, i1 false) ; force read-modify-write %ptr11 to complete

A problem with this approach is that developing a new pass over the IL
that works with address spaces, will have to include knowledge that
for certain operations address space information is encoded as data
rather than as types and in general, it may not be able to statically
determine the particular address space. An alternative is to
generalize the barrier operation to a more general memory fence, that
as a special case reduces to the above barrier, e.g.:
i32 addrspace(11)*<ptr>, i1 <device>, i1 barrier )
The code above then becomes:
	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p0i32
	@llvm.atomic.load.add.p11i32

         %r1 = call i32 @llvm.atomic.load.add.p0i32( i32 addrspace(0)*
%ptr0, i32 4)
	%r2 = call i32 @llvm.atomic.load.add.p11i32( i32 addrspace(11)*
%ptr11, i32 4)
	call void @llvm.memory.fence(i1 true, i1 true, i1 false, i1 false,
i32 addrspace(11)* %ptr11, i1 false, i1 true)

If a particular target supports fence operations with explicit
addresses the last line could be replaced with the more fine grained:

	call void @llvm.memory.fence(i1 true, i1 true, i1 false, i1 false,
i32 addrspace(11)* %ptr11, i1 false, i1 false)
Does this make sense or have I missed something that would enable the
existing llvm.memory.barrier operation to be used in the context of
address spaces?

Ben