[LLVMdev] does llvm support type checking?

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Sun Jul 6 07:49:34 PDT 2008

On 2008-07-05, at 23:35, kirbature wrote:

> Recently I was looking up LLVM on net and I stumbled upon a pdf
> called "2008-05-17-BSDCan-LLVMIntro.pdf". What makes this somewhat
> general introduction to llvm interesting for me is the fact that it
> mentions (on page 30 if you are curious) that it supports "Type
> Checking and Semantic Analysis - Builds Abstract Syntax Trees (AST)
> for valid input"!!! I find this surprising because I knew nothing
> about type checking being implemented in llvm. I am not much of a
> compiler guy (and I dont know much about llvm), but type checking
> has always been an amazing idea to me simply because of how many
> common errors it would prevent from inputs getting messed up. Why
> isnt it being advertised more? When I googled "llvm + type checking"
> I just got obscure questions/answers and the term being thrown
> haphazardly in broad descriptions of the what llvm can do. Is this
> really a feature that is going/already has been implemented?

LLVM does not build ASTs. You were probably reading a description of
clang, a C compiler built on LLVM.

     http://clang.llvm.org/

LLVM has a low-level type system, but does not attempt to provide a
safe execution environment like the type systems in a Java VM or
the .NET runtime. It is detailed in the manual.

     http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html

— Gordon