[LLVMdev] Slight troubles following "Getting Started" instructions

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Tue Feb 26 17:16:19 PST 2008

OK, counter-examples. I am channeling Joe, an average C/C++/C#/Java
developer who's heard about LLVM and is curious to know what it is.

Joe thinks....

I surf to http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#quickstart because I am
interested in this LLVM stuff.

1, 2, 3. What documentation? What am I supposed to read? Aaah! This is
scary!
4. Install either 4.0 or 4.2. Which one do I want? Which is stable? Which is
just a test platform?
5. Get the LLVM Source code. I can't work with precompiled binaries? I have
to build this from source? Wow, that's a lot more work than I'd hoped for a
quick look.
6. Whatever, I don't care about testing it. Skipped.
7. OK, pretty normal stuff. Done.
8. Building.... OK, now what? (Where's that link to the tutorial again?)

I read at the bottom....
"Consult the Getting Started with LLVM section for detailed information on
configuring and compiling LLVM." OK, but I should be good to go, right?
"See Setting Up Your Environment for tips that simplify working with the GCC
front end and LLVM tools." OK, once I'm done building, got it.
"Go to Program Layout to learn about the layout of the source code tree."
Why do I care about this if I'm just taking a quick look?

Wow, the rest of this page is big... Isn't there an easier way to get into
all this?

Tanya, I'm not arguing that the documentation sucks or is incorrect or
whatnot. I'm simply suggesting that there may be a better way to structure
the documentation for people with specific purposes. At the end of the day,
as with all suggestions, if you don't like it, just use the Microsoft
time-honored response, "Thank you for your feedback", and toss it in the
round file. But I do remember trying to get started with this and facing a
lot of these same questions, so I'm offering this up merely as a
counterpoint to what I perceive to be the implied response of "The
documentation is fine, you just didn't read it right".

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com