[LLVMdev] Bug? Coalescing & Updating Subreg Intervals

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Wed Feb 20 23:23:00 PST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 7:36 PM, David A. Greene wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 07:00:28 pm Evan Cheng wrote:
>
>>> In other words, after coalescing, should it be the case that
>>> subregister
>>> intervals contain at least all of the range information that was
>>> contained
>>> in any eliminated intervals when those eliminated intervals were
>>> coalesced
>>> to the subregister's superregister?
>>
>> Right. The code is being conservative. It's saying all of the
>> entirety
>> of the superregister's live interval must also be in the
>> subregister's
>> live interval. i.e. When the superregister is live, the subregister
>> must be live.
>
> Ok, but that is NOT what's happening in this case.
>
> Also, LiveIntervalAnalysis doesn't do any subregister checks as
> far as I can tell.  It's certainly not the case that subregister
> intervals contain all of the information their supperregister's
> interval contains.

SimpleRegisterCoalescing::JoinIntervals(). When coalescing a physical
register with a virtual one the first thing it check is sub-registers.

> So is this just supposed to be a conservative update for the
> purposes of coalescing?
>

> In any event, it seems not to be working right if what you
> describe is supposed to be happening.
>
> Given the two intervals in my example, which should happen
> with the two overlappring ranges
>
> %reg1026:  [458,5168:0 [0])
> %reg15: [938,942:1 [0])
>
> My assumption was that after MergeInClobberRanges that %reg15
> would contain [458,5168:0 [0]).  But it doesn't.

So this is the call site?

     // Update the liveintervals of sub-registers.
     for (const unsigned *AS = tri_->getSubRegisters(DstReg); *AS; ++AS)
       li_->getOrCreateInterval(*AS).MergeInClobberRanges(*ResSrcInt,
                                                  li_-
 >getVNInfoAllocator());

Can you take a look at MergeInClobberRanges() to see what is going on?
Otherwise, please file a bug with a test case.

Evan