[LLVMdev] LLVM ARM Cross-Compiler Build

Keun Soo Yim yim6 at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 31 21:56:50 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Misha Brukman <brukman at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I've reproduced the same error on my x86/Linux system (the first macro is
> undefined).  I suspect if I go ahead and also add it, I'll continue to the
> next error you found.  One might guess that since this cross-tool build is
> so broken, that it's likely not used by the folks targeting the ARM backend.

 Using LLVM 2.0, somehow it was possible to generate llvm-gcc for
ARM. Around the time when 2.0 was released, Apple was interested in ARM
backend, so I guess similar versions (e.g., 2.1) would work too.

 When we build a cross-compiler, there are multiple steps involved (e.g.,
binutils, initial compiler, runtime library, final compiler). Since ARM is
not officially supported in LLVM (we need to focus on an architecture and
optimze for it), one way would be porting AST-to-LLVM coverter to GNU ARM
compiler. Still who'll pay this cost is a question because even in CE
industry no one use GCC for ARM in production stage.